This savage who was the winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after eating dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 60 kilometres north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to reports. The roach-eater was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. GOOD RIDDANCE!
Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches.
“Some people do have allergies to roaches,” he said, “but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”
None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff’s office said.
There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.
“We feel terribly awful,” said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. “He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice,” Siegel said, adding that Archbold was “the life of the party.”
Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.
According to reports the grand prize has been put aside in Archbold’s name and will be given to his estate.
A statement from Siegel’s attorney said all the participants signed waivers “accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest.”
The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects “that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles.”